Monday, July 2, 2007

Holiday

Are you getting ready for Independence Day?
We are. This year it looks like it is just going to be us as a family this year. That is fine with me but to be honest it does feel a little weird. Usually we are surrounded by family and friends. This will be our first 4th with just us. I think the Lord is preparing us for something in the future. I am not going to go into details at this moment, we are waiting to be sure this is what God wants us to do before saying anything. So for this 4th, I am trying to make it as fun as I can with the money that we have. I don't want to spend too much on food and activities. Here are a couple of links to sites that I have gotten some stuff for me to do with the kids. The first link is to an Independence Day book. http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/books/julyfourth/
The second link is to a site full of ways to celebrate the 4th with your kids and information about why we celebrate Independence Day. http://www.homeschooled-kids.com/julhistory1.html
Do you have all of your food bought for your meals? I haven't done that yet but will get to the store tonight or tomorrow night. I am hoping to incorporate as much red, white and blue as I can.
For breakfast I am planning on blueberry pancakes, a little whipped cream and some strawberry sauce or homemade syrup on top of that. Later I am thinking of doing mostly snack type foods- dips with chips--one of the dips and chips will be a block of cream cheese covered with salsa and blue corn chips to dip, that will cover the red, white and blue-, chicken wings, and veggie tray.
Dinner will be cooked on the grill- probably chicken breasts for the meat. We will cover the meat in a red sauce, mashed potatoes (possibly dyed blue), corn on the cob and baked beans.
Dessert will be a fruit tray (with strawberries and blueberries) with a dip and homemade ice cream.
We will play horseshoes, crazy baseball (where each base has something silly) and a few other outside games. I also want to have a watermelon eating contest and a watermelon seed spitting contest. All of the other times I am hoping we are just enjoying each other's company.
The goal is to have fun, be together and just be a family. I hope your 4th will be spent the same.

2 comments:

Happy Homemaker said...

Sounds like you have a fun day planned. We're not doing much. A cookout at my sister's house and the afternoon in her pool. Is it okay if I borrow the blueberry pancake idea? My guys would love that.

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a nice and relaxing day.
Sure, you can borrow any idea you like. Usually our holidays are busy trying to get where we are going, this one will be spent lounging and playing at home. I have never done a breakfast like this on the 4th before. It does sound yummy!